On November 1, 2017, the Government of Canada announced the historic multi-year immigration levels plan that will responsibly grow the number of permanent residents in Canada.
Canada is known for the well-managed immigration system which is unique in the world. The Canadian immigration system places a great emphasis on providing assistance to recently arrived newcomers, to help them to transition to their new life in Canada, learn English or French, find meaningful employment, and/or establish themselves in their communities.
This historic multi-year immigration plan sets out the most ambitious immigration levels in recent history. The numbers presented by the government are as follows:
- 310,000 new permanent residents in 2018;
- 330,000 by 2019, and
- approx. 340,000 in 2020.
This measured, gradual increase will trend towards one percent of the population by 2020, spurring innovation and representing a major investment in Canada’s prosperity, now and into the future. Supporting both, Canadian businesses and labour market needs, the multi-year immigration plan will foster economic growth in the face of slowing labour force growth and an ageing population. With approximately 60 percent of the increase, over the three year period, in the economic category, this plan helps distribute the benefits of immigration across Canada, responding to a unanimous call by provinces and territories earlier this fall.
According to IRCC the increased levels will create the space needed to reduce backlogs and decrease processing times for families sponsoring spouses, children, parents, grandparents, and caregivers. The 2018-2020 multi-year immigration levels plan is set to fulfill the government commitment to offer protection to those in need.
Source: IRCC website.
- IRCC News: Government of Canada Brings Medical Inadmissibility Policy in line with Inclusivity for Persons with Disabilities
- IRCC Program Delivery Updates: Express Entry - New Police Certificate Requirements
- AINP News: Alberta Introduces New Appeal Process for Immigration Application Decisions
- IRCC News: Government of Canada facilitates access to Canadian Citizenship for Minors
- IRB News: Important News For Refugee Claimants - IRB Changes How Refugee Hearings Are Scheduled