Close this search box.

Calgary Immigration Caregiver Program

Steps to Become a Caregiver in Canada

Below are the steps and requirements to how you can apply to become a caregiver in Canada: 

Step 1: Meet all the requirements imposed by the new program. 

Step 2: Submit an application for PR and or study/work permit for yourself and your family members. 

It is required that you will need a Job offer, a CLB level 5, and 1 year Canadian Post-secondary education – foreign equivalency requires by IQAS or WES. 

You will also need an occupation specific work permit to obtain the work experience you need for PR and get work or study permit for your spouse and children. 

Nice female doctor carrying adorable little boy with his teddy bear in the wheelchair at the hospital

Eligibility For Home Child Care Provider

You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot, if you: 

Genuine and valid job offer

The job you are offered must be: 

  • made using Offer of Employment IMM 5983 (PDF, 2.33 MB) 
  • full-time, which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week 
  • from a Canadian employer 
  • outside the province of Quebec 
  • from an employer who’s not an embassy, high commission or consulate 
  • genuine, meaning there’s a real need to hire you 

The job you’re offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that matches the pilot you apply for: 

​Home Child Care Provider (NOC 4411) 

  • You must care for children under the age of 18 in your own home or in your employer’s home 
  • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify 
  • Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count 

Home Support Worker (NOC 4411) 

  • You must care for someone who needs help from a home support worker either in your own home or in your employer’s home 
  • You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify 
  • Only home support workers are eligible under NOC 4412 
  • Experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count. 

Language levels

You need to take a language test to prove you meet the minimum language skills. 

To measure your English or French skills, we use: 

The minimum language skill is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all 4 language skills: 

  • writing 
  • reading 
  • listening 
  • speaking 


You must have a completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada. If you don’t have a Canadian education credential, you need to get your foreign education credential assessed to show that it’s equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year. 

Visit the following links for more information: 

Our Experienced Immigration Lawyers Can Help

If you’re seeking help with your temporary residence application, we would love to help.  Please contact our immigration team by calling (403) 476-2011, email us at [email protected] or click here to book a consultation. 


About Shim Law

Shim Law is a multicultural law firm that provides legal services to clients in Calgary and around the world. With lawyers fluent in up to 20 languages, we can provide accurate legal representation regardless of language barriers. Our practice areas include family law, real estate law, and more.

Practice Areas


Recent Posts