Close this search box.

Employment of Foreign Workers in Calgary

Employment of Foreign Workers

If you’re an employer looking for hire a employee from a foreign country you will need to complete a list of tasks before you will be eligible to employ them.  

For employers, to start you will need to:

  • Complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) if it is required for your industry 
  • A LMIA is a document that officially determines if Canada has a shortage of Canadian workers for that specific job.  
  • If you do the LMIA and have positive results than you will be able to go forward with hiring a foreign worker.
  • Employment Social Development Canada (ESDC) will then determine if you will be able to employ a foreign employee. 
  • The exception to the LMIA would be for special work permits and may include; Live-in CaregiverBusiness People and Agricultural Workers
  • You will not be able to apply for permanent residence through a work permit.  If you’re trying to become a permanent resident, see if you’re a qualified skilled worker.  

Our Experienced Calgary Immigration Lawyers and Consultants Can Help

If you’re seeking help with employment of a foreign worker, we would love to help.  Please contact our immigration team by calling (403) 476-2011, email us at [email protected] or click here to book a consultation. 

About Shim Law

Shim Law is a multicultural law firm that provides legal services to clients in Calgary and around the world. With lawyers fluent in up to 20 languages, we can provide accurate legal representation regardless of language barriers. Our practice areas include family law, real estate law, and more.

Practice Areas


Recent Posts