Close this search box.

Temporary Residence in Calgary

Nearly 20 million people visited Canada in 2016 and is becoming a very popular destination for international students, foreign workers and tourists.  Here at Shim Law, we can help you authorize and obtain your Temporary Residence status.  

We understand that English will not be your first language and the application process can be quite intimidating which is why we tailor our services specifically to your needs.  Our talented immigration staff is made up of one of the most diverse firms in Calgary and can provide our services in 10 different languages.  

Student Visa/Permit

International studies can be beneficial and advantageous to any individual.  It can provide a student with many opportunities such as a chance to receive a working position in Canada and immerse the student in our Canadian culture.  

You will first need to receive an offer of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada before you can apply for a student permit.  Another requirement is to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover the University tuition fees.

Work Permit

In most cases, you will need to apply for a work permit to be able to work in Canada.  The following jobs below will not require you to have a work visa to work in Canada:

Athlete or coach

Aviation accident or incident investigator

Business visitor

Civil aviation inspector


Convention organizer

Crew member

Emergency service provider

Examiner and evaluator

Expert witness or investigator

Family member of foreign representative

Foreign government officer or representative

Health care student​

​Judge, referee or similar official

Military personnel

News reporter or film and media crew

Producer or staff member working on advertisements

Performing artist

Public speaker

Short-term highly-skilled worker

Short-term researcher

Student working off-campus

Student working on-campus

If your job title is anything other than the list above, then you will need to apply for a work permit. 

Normally when applying for a work permit you may need a job offer and a positive outlook on the Labor Market Impact Assesment (LMIA) to show that the role needs foreign workers.  

Applying for a work permit can be quite complex which is why we suggest you contact one of our immigration professionals to assist you during this process.    

Temporary Resident Visa

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or also known as a Visitor visa is an official document from the Canadian visa office to identify that you have met the requirements as a temporary resident (student, worker or visitor) and stayed/left based on your scheduled time.  The TRV tends to be given to an individual when they’re leaving Canada.

Our Experienced Calgary Immigration Lawyers Can Help

If you’re seeking help with your temporary residence application, we would love to help.  Please contact our immigration team by calling (403) 476-2011, email us at [email protected] or click here to book a consultation. 

About Shim Law

Shim Law is a multicultural law firm that provides legal services to clients in Calgary and around the world. With lawyers fluent in up to 20 languages, we can provide accurate legal representation regardless of language barriers. Our practice areas include family law, real estate law, and more.

Practice Areas


Recent Posts